Planting Seeds and Bubble Wrap

It was definitely a Monday today, the kind of day when bubble wrap (thanks Heidi!) is irresistible, even if it is virtual!
I’d like to clarify my title. I found creating a blog title frustrating, and in the end settled for ‘Just a Thought’ because that phrase often appears at the end of my journal entries. It also, however, represents significant professional growth as an educational leader during recent graduate coursework through Field Programs at SFU.

In my second year of coursework, I focused on developing my capacity as an education leader. Not surprisingly, my emerging leadership style is similar to my teaching style. I’m ultra-organized and try my best to be engaging. I use little tricks to catch peoples’ attention and then hold it, but not for too long because I think timing is key. I like to be subtle and plant little seeds of thought and watch people think.
After I grab peoples’ attention, after I get them thinking and really engaged with whatever it is I’m presenting to them, just when I’ve got them really hooked, that’s when I like to cut them loose to think on their own. That’s when I’ll suggest that “it’s just a thought…” or something similar, effectively (I hope) handing the ownership of the discussion or activity or workshop from my control over to that of my audience, whether they are students, a PAC group or a room full of teachers.

So, “Just a Thought” is my way of handing the ownership of various topics over to any visitors unknown and from anywhere. Even if you don’t choose to comment, hopefully something made you think…or smile, as may have been the case with bubble wrap!

2 thoughts on “Planting Seeds and Bubble Wrap

1. I swear, creating a title, whether it be fore the blog overall or just for a single post, often seems to take forever! It’s hard to get just the right title to grab people’s attention, but also clue them in to they’re going to find there. While I prefer to do catchier titles with subtle jokes, the trouble is that those aren’t search engine friendly. Google places a high priority on blog post title’s, which is why it’s really a better practice to get a few keywords in the title.

Regardless, I’m loving the virtual bubble wrap 😉

Take care,
    Steve

2. Thanks for stopping by! I hadn’t even thought about making post titles search engine friendly. That’s a good tip to use only a few keywords!

Glad you like the bubble wrap!